Qualifications: PhD in Contemporary Fine Art Practice. Faculty of Arts, Environment & Technology, Leeds Metropolitan University. 2007: MA in Contemporary Art and Design Practice (Merit). Faculty of Arts, Environment & Technology, Leeds Metropolitan University, United Kingdom. 2003: BFA in Painting. Institute of Aesthetic Studies University of Kelaniya Sri Lanka.
Priyantha Udagedara is an artists and art historian in Sri Lanka with a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Contemporary Fine Art Practice and a Master of Arts (MfA) degree in Contemporary Art and Design Practice from the Faculty of Arts in the Leeds Metropolitan University through the “President Scholarship” awarded by the Presidents Fund, Sri Lanka in the year 2006. Furthermore, other educational qualifications include Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Painting from the Institute of Aesthetic Studies, University of Kelaniya. Since the year 2015, he has been serving as a lecturer, senior lecturer as well as currently Acting Dean Faculty of Post Graduate, University of the Visual and Performing Arts. He has particular expertise and research interest in colonial-art, post-colonial art and contemporary visual culture. He is a practicing artist specializing in paintings and has exhibited nationally and internationally in countries including Sri Lanka, India, Australia, Portugal, Dubai, United States and Great Britain.
My principal research interests lie in the field of contemporary fine art practice specially focusing upon South Asia. My PhD research explores the contextual analysis of the notion of paradise in its relationship to socio-political ideology within the limitations of visual art. My future research plans are to build on the foundations of my PhD to further develop research in visual art practice within Sri Lanka and the region. I have a particular expertise and research interest in colonial-art, post colonial art and contemporary Western and Eastern visual culture.
- Udagedara, P. (2017) Paradaise Lost: Sarasavi Publications Colombo.
- Udagedara, P. (ed) (2017) An Introduction to Contemporary Sri Lankan Art in Re Imagining Ceylon: Imago Mundi, Italy.
- Hewawasam, U, Thenuwara, C and Udagedara, P. (2015) UVPA 10th Anniversary Show: Visual Art Exhibition. JDA Perera Gallery, Colombo.
- Udagedara. P. (2014) Barrelism to Beautification: Understanding Chandraguptha Thenuwara’s Art Practice. available at: http://www.artrabbit.com/all/events/event/49490/chandraguptha_thenuwara_recent_works#.VBTI-9887lk.facebook.
- Stirling, L and Udagedara, P. (2014) Homecoming/revisiting – Contemporary British and
Sri Lankan Printmaking. Broadcasting Place Gallery, Leeds Metropolitan University.
- Udagedara. P. (2013) Representation of Picturesque Paradise – A Case Study of Sri Lanka in Manatunga, A and Wettewe, C, D, S. ed. Asian Art, Culture and Heritage, University of Kelaniya.
- 2018: Bunka Award, Awarded by the Embassy of Japan Sri Lanka.
- 2006: President Scholarship, Awarded by the Presidents Fund Sri Lanka.
CUTED PROJECTS (SELECTED)
- 2016: Co-Curator – Wings Festival: Art for reconciliation: JDA Perera Gallery, Colombo.
- 2015: Co-Curator – UVPA 10th Anniversary Show: Visual Art Exhibition: JDA Perera Gallery, Colombo.
- 2014: Co-Curator – Home Coming/Revisiting: Contemporary British and Sri Lankan Print Making,
- Broadcasting Place Gallery Leeds Beckett University United Kingdom and University of visual and Performing Arts Sri Lanka November 2014.
- 2013: Curator – Beauty and Agony – New Art from Sri Lanka, Broadcasting Place Gallery United Kingdom.
CONFERENCES, PRESENTATIONS AND PARTICIPATIONS (SELECTED)
- 2020: Chair – Cultural Studies in Music: 7th Annual International Conference on Humanities and Arts in a Global World Athens, Greece.
- 2020: 7th Annual International Conference on Humanities and Arts in a Global World Athens, Greece.
- 2018: Moderator. International Research Symposium University of Visual and Performing Arts.
- 2016: International Conference Swami Vipulananda Institute of Aesthetic Studies Eastern University Sri Lanka
- 2016: 17th International Conference on Humanities and Social Science Singapore. 2015: The APPRA International Conference, October 9-11, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- 2015: Guest Speaker, Jaffna Archive, Jaffna.
- 2014: Guest Speaker, Making the most of your Doctorate – A joint conference offering development and networking opportunities to research students from Leeds. Metropolitan and Sheffield Hallam Universities, University of Leeds Metropolitan.
- 2013: International Conference on Asian Art, Culture and Heritage -21st – 23rd August 2013 at University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
- 2013: Postgraduate Research Conference – 18 June 2013 at Bristol University, United Kingdom.
SOLO EXHIBITIONS – (SELECTED)
- 2020: Serandib – Saskia Fernando Gallery, Colombo.
- 2017: Orientalism – Saskia Fernando Gallery, Colombo.
- 2017: Wanamali – Aicon Gallery, New York, America.
- 2016: Garden of Earthly Delights- Grosvenor Gallery, London, United Kingdom.
- 2015: Herbal Garden- Saskia Fernando Gallery, Colombo.
- 2014: Paradise Lost- Saskia Fernando Gallery, Colombo.
- 2014: Priyantha Udagedara- Works from 2010 to 2014, Norman Rae Gallery, York United Kingdom.
- 2013: Paradise Lost, Lace Market Gallery, Nottingham United Kingdom.
- 2013: Paradise Lost, Colorida Galeria De Arte E Design LDA, Lisbon.
EXHIBITION PARTICIPATIONS (SELECTED)
- 2020: India Art Fair, Delhi, India.
- 2019: Crossing Place, Baik Art Gallery, Los Angeles, America.
- 2019: National Art Exhibition, JDA Perera Gallery, Organized by Art council Sri Lanka.
- 2018: Manchester Triennial, United Kingdom.
- 2018: Dubai Art Fair, Dubai.
- 2018: Delhi Art Fair, Delhi.
- 2017: Colombo Art Biannual, Curated by Alnoor Metha at J. D. A Perera Gallery.
- 2016: Disambiguation, Curated by Saskia Fernando for Art Dubai.
- 2015: UVPA 10th Anniversary Show: Visual Art Exhibition: JDA Perera Gallery, Colombo.
- 2014: Summer Dance, Breese Little Gallery, London.
- 2014: Emergency, Breese Little Gallery, London.
- 2014: Opening Exhibition 2014, Saskia Fernando Gallery, Sri Lanka.
- 2002: National Painting & Sculpture Exhibition National Art Gallery, Sri Lanka Kala Mandalaya, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Chambers, C. (2014) Exhibition Catalogue, Norman Rea Gallery, University of York.
- Chambers, C. (2014) Priyantha Udagedara Selected works from 2010 to 2014, Available at: (http://wsimag.com/art/9465-priyantha-udagedara)
- Liddle, E. (2013) Paradise Lost Exhibition by Priyantha Udagedara, Available at: (http://www.themetonline.co.uk/author/e-liddle/).
- Smith, M. (2013) Nepenthes Paradise: Understanding Priyantha Udagedara’s Practice Exhibition Catalogue, Lace Market Gallery, Nottingham.
- Stirling, L. (2010) Exhibition Catalogue of Priyantha Udagedara, Colombo: Paradise Road Gallery Sri Lanka.
- Bandaranayake, S and Dharmasiri, A. (2009) Sri Lankan Painting in the 20th Century: Sri Lanka National Trust for Cultural and Natural Heritage.